Onam (Malayalam: ഓണം) is the biggest festival celebrated in Kerala, India. Since now it is the Onam season I thought this would be the perfect recipe for everyone to try out.
- 3 Ripe bananas
- 300g jaggery
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 cup coconut milk (we made this with the coconut milk powder)
- 1 cup thick coconut milk (we used a canned thick coconut milk)
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seed powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- pinch salt
- 1 cup chopped coconut (small pieces)
- 1 cup cashew nuts
- In a thick pan add half a cup of water, add the bananas and let it boil.
- In another pot add the jaggery and 2 cups of water and let it boil until the jaggery is completely dissolved ( you may have to strain it if has any lumps left over)
- When the bananas and soft enough to smash, smash it in the pan itself.
- Add ghee to the bananas and let cook, make sure you stir continuously so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once it is completely mixed add the jaggery water and mix until the bananas are almost completely mixed, it should still have some lumps left. (the mixture should be quite thick)
- add the coconut milk (made with the powder) to the mixture let it boil and thicken,remember to stir continuously (this process may take some time)
- add a pinch of salt
- add in the cumin powder and cardamom powder and mix well
- now add the thick coconut milk and let boil (the mixture should thicken)
- in another pan add some ghee and add the chopped coconut and stir
- after it starts to turn brown add the cashews, and stop after the coconut has turned a golden brown.
- add the coconut and cashews to the mixture
- serve warm