I don’t do many spicy or savoury dishes but I found this quite good so I though I would share. This is a recipe I found and tried out recently and was glad to see that it turned out quite well. If you are a fan of fried chicken you will most definitely enjoy this.
- 3½ pounds chicken wings or drumsticks (about 1.6 kg), washed and drained
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2/3 cup corn starch
- ⅓ cup peanuts (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 to 4 large dried red chilli peppers, seeded, cut crosswise into ⅓ inch pieces (optional)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- vegetable oil
- This step is optional but take the skin off the chicken.
- Put the chicken in a bowl and mix with salt, ginger, and ground black pepper by hand.
- Put 2/3 cup potato starch in a bowl and dip each wing in the powder to coat it, one by one. Squeeze each piece to press the coating to it tightly
For the sweet, spicy, and sticky sauce:
- Heat a large non-stick skillet. Add 2 tablespoons cooking oil, minced garlic, and the dried red chilli pepper.
- Stir with a spoon until fragrant for about 30 seconds.
- Add soy sauce, honey and vinegar. Stir and let it bubble for a few minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and continue stirring. Remove from the heat. Set aside.
Fry the chicken:
- Put 4 cups of cooking oil in a frying pan or pot and heat it up for 7 to 8 minutes over high heat.
- See if the oil’s ready by dipping a test piece into it. If the oil bubbles, it’s hot enough to start frying. Slide the coated chicken one by one into the hot oil and cook for about 12 to 13 minutes, turning over a few times with tongs.
- Take the wings out of the oil and shake them off in a strainer. Turn off the heat, and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Reheat the oil and fry the chicken again for another 12 to 15 minutes until they all look golden brown and feel super crunchy through the tongs. If your frying pan or pot is not large enough to fry all the chicken at once, divide it into batches.
Coat the fried chicken with the sauce:
- When the chicken is done, reheat the sauce until it bubbles.
- Add the hot chicken and mix well with a spoon to coat.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the coated chicken to a large platter. Sprinkle some sesame seeds over top and serve immediately.
Original recipe credits to Maangchi: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-dakgangjeong